The Backyard Grannys process
Get the complete package with Backyard Grannys
At Backyard Grannys we have refined our processes to be as efficient as possible and work in partnership with our clients to ensure that building your granny flat is a rewarding experience. Our experienced team seamlessly manage each project from concept to completion including throughout the design, complying development approval and construction processes. We have earned a great reputation for keeping our clients well informed throughout the build process and are committed to keeping you updated on the progress of your granny flat at every stage.
Your granny flat, step by step
- Contact Us Phone or enquire online and we will endeavour to contact you within 48 hours.
- Free On Site Inspection Provide us with your property address and we will arrange for one of our experienced team members to inspect your property and confirm if a granny flat can be built via a complying development certificate (CDC).
- Quotation Once we have conducted an onsite inspection, our team will provide you with a detailed quote based on your site specific requirements and a design of your choice from our custom range.
- Customer Acceptance It’s time to begin the design and approval phase! This phase includes signing the pre-construction agreement and requires you to pay the design deposit to kick start the building process.
- Design Process Our dedicated Design Coordinator will work on the final design of your project. This is the step where the final design specifications are selected and includes the concept plan, detailed plans and final confirmation of your block specifications to ensure your granny flat is built to the highest standard and adheres to all necessary regulations.
- Selection Process The selections process is one of the most exciting and fun steps of building your new granny flat. Our expert team will walk you through the process at our Showroom at Bennetts Green, assisting you to choose your interior and exterior colours, fixtures and finishes required to reflect your unique needs and lifestyle.
- Construction Contract Prior to commencement of work a construction deposit is required along with the submission of Home Owners Warranty insurance and the signing of a BC4 Master Builders Contract. This is a contract that is approved and protects both parties throughout the construction of your new granny flat.
- Approval Your Approval Coordinator will prepare and submit your application to either our private certifier or your local council for approval. Our team will liaise with all other professionals and authorities and complete all applications, pay fees and obtain authority certificates on your behalf including BASIX. The balance of the design fee is due once the application is submitted for approval.
- Construction Once your contract has been signed our team will then issue a start date. From the start date, the construction of the granny flat will be completed in approximately 12–14 weeks.
- Practical Completion On completion of your granny flat you will be invited to an onsite meeting with one of our Directors to review the job and identify if any final works or items need to be addressed. Once you are completely happy with the finished project we request that all final payments be made in accordance with the contract.
- Handover Congratulations! It’s time to pick up the keys and warranty information for your brand new granny flat. We hope that you enjoyed building with Backyard Grannys and wish you all the best for the future.