Couple gains newfound freedom to travel the world, all thanks to their Granny Flat in Wyee
So you’re thinking of selling your house, taking off and travelling around the world!
But what will you do with all those possessions you just can’t let go of? And where will you settle down when it’s time to come home?
Nestled away in beautiful bushland, it’s no surprise Shauna and Shane fell head over heels for their Wyee home – so much so that they couldn’t bear the thought of selling it to a stranger.
But with a string of overseas adventures calling, these globetrotters needed to find a smart solution for maintaining their gem of a property whilst abroad. That’s where we came in. Shauna and Shane sold the house to one of their children, making the decision to build a granny flat in the backyard soon after.
The best of both worlds, this gave Shauna and Shane the freedom to discover far-flung destinations and have a familiar base to call home.
Keeping loved ones close
Investing in a granny flat has given Shauna and Shane a renewed sense of freedom and flexibility in their golden years. In other words, they can wave goodbye to the burden of having to look after a whole house when off exploring the world. And with reduced living expenses come more travel funds!
But for Shauna and Shane, there’s more to it than money. Granny flats take the phrase ‘nearest and dearest’ to a whole new level, making it super easy to spend quality bonding time with loved ones. And that was a major pull for this family-first duo. Now, they can make the most of their time in town, living just a few steps away from their children and grandchildren.
Sleek designs to suit every need
When it came to choosing a floor plan, our two-bedroom Elenora granny flat design was a no-brainer for Shauna and Shane: think modern, open living with a tailorable layout to tick all the boxes.
First up, we moved the doors so that their living space spilled out onto the alfresco area, which overlooks breathtaking wilderness in the heart of Wyee (speaking of bushland, the positioning of this granny flat was carefully considered to comply with bushfire requirements).
Custom features continue into the master bedroom, with Shauna and Shane’s granny flat being the first we’ve built with a walk-in robe!
What’s more, we customised their ensuite to mimic a recently renovated bathroom in the main house. The couple wanted to include a set of prized feature tiles which we included in the bathroom to their delight. To make sure it was a proper match, we even built a separate laundry room.
And then there’s the centrepiece of it all. This granny flat includes a stylish and functional custom-designed kitchen, complete with a breakfast bar for entertaining and smart storage space – a must-have for any seasoned traveller!
Some standout features used to create this wonderful Wyee granny flat include:
- James Hardie Hardieplank™ cladding 230mm in Evening Haze
- COLORBOND® roofing in Woodland Grey
- Vertical blinds on sliding door and all windows except the bathroom in Hunter Valley White
- Internal walls in Greyology 2 SC-001B – Haymes 2 Coat System
- Architraves, skirting and doors in ALl White
- Slimline 2000L water tank colour to match cladding
- Daytek external fold down clothesline
- LED downlights
- Sliding aluminium glass door – Hume Range
- Internal doors – Hume Range Moulded Panel Hayman to all internal doors (six in total: bedrooms, bed to robe, laundry and bathroom)
- Bedroom 1 robe profile: Shelf and hang rail across entire wall with linen cupboard
- Skirting boards with 66mm pencil round profile
- Nile Sand 300mmx300mm floor tiles selection
- Beaumont Tiles Gloss White 200×300 bathroom floor tiles – horizontally laid pattern with Italian Mosaic feature tiles
- Kitchen splash back with the same tiles as above
- Berber Grid 1 Sandstone carpet selection in the bedrooms
- Raw cotton vinyl plank floor boards in the kitchen, dining, living and hall
Kitchen, Bathroom and Dining Features
- Benchtop: White Valencia diamond gloss laminate
- Cabinetry: Warm White 9779 Formica with matte finish
- CAO6X Artusi 60cm built-in electric oven
- ASO600RX Artusi slideout rangehood
- CACC1 Artusi electric cooktop
- 800mm stainless steel Cairns square kitchen sink with chrome Fiesta Sink Mixer
- Air conditioning unit
- Midea 170L electric heat pump
- Roma LT-35C laundry tub
- Whiteley CTE255 back-to-wall toilet
- Round hand shower on rail shower tapware with Fiesta Basin Mixer Chrome
- Chrome Fiesta Basin Mixer vanity sink tapware
These one-of-a-kind touches make Shauna and Shane’s granny flat a real ‘home sweet home’ after each travel stint. With all the perks of a modern build and clever tweaks to complement their current lifestyle, this backyard oasis is guaranteed to keep the couple happy as they grow old together.
Find Freedom With A Granny Flat All Your Own
So whether you’ve got the travel itch or it’s time to downsize, a backyard granny flat might just be your best bet! Quick and affordable to build, these comfortable, cost-effective living spaces require minimal maintenance. And when you’re ready to return from that next adventure, your cosy home will be waiting for you.