Discover how the Wrightsons created more space for family with their Weston granny flat
Nestled right between Cessnock and Kurri Kurri, Weston is a small suburb in the Hunter Valley. With rolling hills, world-renowned vineyards and all the everyday amenities you could want just a short drive away, locals George and Jennifer Wrightson were keen to stay right where they were despite needing some more room for loved ones
A convenient and cost-effective way to enlarge their living space, the Wrightsons decided to build a two-bedroom granny flat in their backyard. Another big bonus of this flexible solution is that it has the ability to adapt to lifestyle changes as needed. The detached secondary dwelling can be transformed from a guest house to a home office or even AirBnB if George and Jennifer decide to tap into this wine region’s bustling tourism industry!
The latest Weston granny flat built by our team, this contemporary design on Woodlands Drive was ready for move in after just 10 weeks. Let’s check it out!
Making more room for the Wrightsons
George and Jennifer chose the modern Myall design for their granny flat, switching from a skillion to hip roof for sheltered outdoor living all year round! With timber frames, downlights and large glass sliding doors, this veranda is ideal for sitting back with a glass of local Chardonnay on long summer evenings.
Inside, the open-plan living and dining area feels bright and airy with glossy white walls, light vinyl flooring and chrome finishes. But the kitchen might just be our favourite part, with a diamond gloss bench top, black nickel pearl door handles and the latest Artusi appliances.
From there, a sleek, silver-adorned bathroom and separate laundry (complete with linen cupboard!) will guide you towards the two spacious bedrooms. Each equipped with its own built-in wardrobe, plush berber grid carpet and fan lights, these bedrooms have been designed with ultimate comfort and convenience in mind.
This Weston granny flat includes:
- James Hardie Axon 133mm panel cladding in Evening Haze
- COLORBOND® roofing in Woodland Grey
- Timber fascia in Evening Haze
- Aluminium windows in Woodland Grey with fibreglass fly screens
- Hume Range frosted Newington XN5 in Woodland Grey
- 3000L Enviro Slim Line Water Tank coloured to match cladding
- Sandleford Hilltop Post Mounting letterbox in Black
- Daytek external fold down clothesline in Iron Grey
- LED downlights and fan lights
- Hunter Valley Roller Blinds in Parchment
- Berber grid carpet in Viking in both bedrooms
- Vinyl plank flooring in Winter Fog throughout living and dining space
- Horizontally-laid bathroom tiles in Gloss White up to 2100mm on shower walls
- Kitchen splash back tiles in Gloss White
- Laminate kitchen benchtop with diamond gloss finish
- Black nickel pearl finish kitchen door handles
- ASO600RX Artusi slideout rangehood
- CACC1 Artusi electric cooktop
- CAO6X Artusi 60cm built-in electric oven
- Midea 170L electric heat pump
- Roma LT-35C laundry tub
- Linen cupboard
Need some extra living space for your loved ones?
Jennifer and George’s wonderful Weston granny flat proves just how easy it can be to add more living space to your family home. With quick construction, contemporary designs and an end result that can add value to your overall property, granny flats are a smart solution for many homeowners wanting to make of the most of their backyard.
If you’re looking to build in Hunter Valley, Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, or the Central Coast, get in touch with the Backyard Grannys team today for more information on our granny flat designs and building process!