Check out our custom granny flat design for this Cardiff couple’s first investment property
Tucked away just a few minutes from the banks of Lake Macquarie (and a short drive from Newcastle’s sandy shores!), Cardiff is a central suburb with a small town feel. And it’s enjoying a boom in rental demand. So much so that locals Kay and David Kemp saw a golden opportunity to generate a second stream of income with a quality granny flat!
But they’re not the first and they won’t be the last. Having built at least 30 granny flats across Cardiff, we think it’s safe to say the Kemps have jumped on quite the backyard bandwagon! With economical building costs, depreciation entitlements and the 10-20% return on investment a landlord can expect to earn from renting out their granny flat, it’s no wonder this Boston Close couple were keen to get the ball rolling.
A custom design for a Cardiff duo
So Kay and David bought their Boston Close property with money making in mind. From the outset, they planned to build a granny flat behind their primary residence, renting it out to boost earnings and contribute to mortgage repayments. We like their thinking.
Once set on building a granny flat, the next step was calling in our team to make it happen. Using the elegant Elanora design as a base, we built a custom floor plan that brought the Kemps’ vision to life in just 14 weeks!
Outside, the traditional facade with hip roof extends over a large front patio perfect for entertaining on long summer evenings. Combined with lightweight cladding (and David’s landscaping skills), this Cardiff granny flat was designed for optimum curb appeal.
Step inside and the two-bedroom home showcases a spacious, open-plan living area kept cool and comfortable with split system air conditioning. Feeling peckish? Take a peek at the glossy kitchen and dining area. With a Chalkstone island bench, stacked splash back tiles and the latest Artusi appliances, this space balances form and function for easy feasting.
Then it’s on to the bright, contemporary and cleverly-structured bedrooms. Positioned on opposite sides of the flat for ultimate privacy, these bedrooms come with built-in wardrobes and fan lights. The walkways for these bedrooms have been shifted to accommodate a large bathroom and separate laundry (complete with a linen cupboard) between them – a smart move to maximise utility space.
To sum it up, these first-time granny flat investors have blended strategic design with beautiful finishes to create the ideal home for their future tenants.
This Boston Close granny flat includes:
- James Hardie Hardieplank™ 230mm lightweight cladding in Windspray
- COLORBOND® roofing in Monument
- Timber fascia in Surfmist
- Aluminium windows complete with fibreglass mesh fly screens
- Hume Range Newington XN5 frosted front door in Surfmist
- Daytek external fold down clothesline in Iron Grey
- 2000L Enviro Slim Line Water Tank
- Sandleford Hilltop Post Mounting letterbox in Black
- Split system air conditioning
- LED downlights and fan lights
- Hunter Valley Roller Blinds in Vivid White
- Linen cupboard with Flush Prime Coat
- Stacked kitchen splashback tiles in United Grey Gloss
- Chalkstone Gloss Essastone kitchen benchtop
- CAO6X Artusi 60cm built-in electric oven
- ASO600RX Artusi slideout rangehood
- CACC1 Artusi electric cooktop
- Midea 170L electric heat pump
- Roma LT-35C laundry tub
- Florence vanity with bevelled edge mirror
Discover what you could earn with a secondary dwelling
Ready to join Kay and David and rake in some rental income with your very own granny flat investment property? Before you dive in, check out our ROI calculator to find out just how much you could make from your backyard!