All you need to know about granny flats!
This page answers some of the most common questions we receive about building a granny flat. Got another question for us? Don’t hesitate to get in touch.
- What is the minimum size my block needs to be to meet CDC rules?
SEPP states 450m². We recommend for you to read our No Council Approval page here for further details.
- If my block is smaller than 450m² can I build a granny flat?
Yes, via a local council application. Different council areas have different guidelines.
- Can I put more than one granny flat on my block?
No. Current regulations state that regardless of the size of your block, you may only build one granny flat on your property.
- What is the maximum size of a granny flat?
The maximum size that can be built is 60m² outside.
- Can I add a garage or deck/patio to my granny flat?
Yes. These items do not form part of the 60m² granny flat.
- Can I build a granny flat on a battle axed block?
Yes, but only if the access lane to your property is wider than 3m, and the block measures at least 12m x 12m (excluding the access laneway).
- Can a granny flat be built attached to the existing house or is it required to be detached?
We can build it either attached or detached from the main dwelling.
- How long does the design/approval process take?
Approximately 10 weeks.
- How long does it take to build?
On average it takes 12–14 weeks to complete construction of your granny flat.
- Do you custom build the granny flats, or are they kit homes?
All our granny flats are custom built on each property. We are not a kit home company.
- Do I have to choose one of your standard designs to put on my block?
Our innovative design team can modify one of our standard granny flat designs to suit your backyard or alternatively create a unique design to your exact requirements.
- Can I select the colours and finishes of my granny flat?
We have a large range of colours and materials for you to choose. We have a showroom in Newcastle, which stocks a large range of materials and colours so you can envisage what your granny flat will look like.
- Do you offer any warranties or guarantees?
Yes, we offer 7 year structural warranty and a defect period of up to 13 weeks.
- Are site costs and service connections included?
Our standard pricing includes all relevant site costs and service connections including water, sewer, electricity and telecommunications if nominated.
- What are the standard inclusions?
We recommend you go to our general inclusions page here to see these details.
- Do you have any display granny flats?
Yes! Go to our display homes page to see our locations and open times.
- Do you provide financing options, so I can build my granny flat?
We have excellent relationships with a variety of experienced mortgage brokers who are familiar with our granny flats. Please call us on (02) 4947 2800.
- Do you have a showroom?
Yes! Please have a look at our display home page for details about our display homes and showrooms.